One of my goals for May is to crochet some summer tops for my lovely friend Danielle. This top was my own design – I just let my hook do it’s thing!
I was thinking about waiting until after I sent it to her to do a post about it because I wanted some fabulous pictures of her wearing it. I decided to post now instead just in case I need to make any adjustments on it. I will still follow up with pictures of gorgeous Danielle modelling my handiwork, but didn’t want to delay anything if it needs to be shipped back to me for any tweaking.
It is really difficult to crochet any type of apparel without having either a person or a mannequin to keep checking the fit. Extra challenging when going on measurements and crochet instinct alone and not following a pattern. One of the biggest problems I have with crocheting a tank top is the length of the straps. I always make them too long.
Even though this top looks like it is a halter style, it really isn’t. It’s 99% finished because I came up with a plan to deal with the strap length!
I don’t have a very large button collection and didn’t really have anything that I thought would look sassy enough for this top. So I need to find some sexy buttons over the weekend. The great thing about double crochet stitch is that you end up with an instant button hole between every stitch! So I’m going to sew some buttons onto the end of the straps and she can button it up in the back for an exact fit!!
The color in the photo of this top is way way off due to the GORGEOUSLY beautiful super sunny day we’re having today. It looks like a turquoise but this is actually some of the Caron Simply Soft Pagoda color yarn that I had leftover from Aimee’s pillow. It’s a deep shiny teal color. The real color of this top is closer to the blue/green color of the coasters on the right.
I did not write down a pattern. But if you are an experienced crocheter it’s not hard to figure it out. I worked 4 rows of DC that measured 34 inches. Then 6 rows of DC V stitch. Another 4 rows of DC then I sewed the ends together in the back to form a 34″ diameter circle. I used the seam in the back to determine the center stitch in the front. I used a fancy stitch marker (a safety pin) on that center stitch.
The cups were worked individually starting 2 stitches off the center on both sides. I used DC stitch decreasing at the turn of every row. The decrease was not typical – instead of 2tog I skipped the first stitch in each row. Using just that one decrease on every row I continued until I only had 2 stitches left in the row. I then made a chain of 42 and DC’d my way back to the front. Same process for the other cup. Now I just need to add the buttons and this will be on it’s way to Danielle – who has been waiting so patiently. 😀
I have another design in mind that will incorporate some of the lovely Hairpin Lace technique. Hopefully my head vision matches reality vision. 😀
Thanks for reading!!