I was so excited to show you what I was working on when I did my last WiP Wednesday post. I’m still excited about what the finished objects WILL be, but right now I’m in the very very dangerous zone that has all of the not fun bits of crochet projects left to do.
It’s dangerous because when it comes time to finish off or assemble a crochet project that is when there is the greatest risk of it never getting done.
It makes no sense to me at all why I run into problems actually finishing things off. I would estimate that I have a 75% success rate of completing projects – complete being all the way done with all buttons sewn on and ends weaved in etc etc. It’s not a good success rate at all because I’m pretty sure that almost all of those projects didn’t require any assembly. If all I need to do is weave in some ends then I’m usually golden.
My son cracked a joke a few weeks ago that I should rename my website to “Tanglewood Not Finished.” 😦
He wasn’t being mean. I have a sense of humor and I love a good joke. I laughed along, because I couldn’t refute it. Especially because the last two projects I made for him aren’t finished. Above is a picture of the slippers that I was making for him for LAST Christmas – they are still not done. And his awesome wizard hat – well if you spin that around you will see that it is missing at least four of the star appliques. He is a good sport though and has not put any pressure on these getting done. So I took his playful joke in stride. 😀
Back to my exciting WiPs:
Woven Crochet Picnic Blanket
This is all crocheted and woven. I now realize that I missed an opportunity to make this tangle of ends easier to manage. I should have secured the ends as I was weaving the chains. I’m at the point now where I am going to pull all of the weaved chains out and redo them. It will be more efficient in the long run since this is a picture of just one side – there is the other side not pictured that I still need to deal with. I also want to come up with the easiest way possible to finish off a woven blanket so that nobody will be scared off by this ‘den of snakes’ that the chains leave behind. Fortunately I don’t need to remake anything, I just need to reweave it. On the plus side – I love the way it came out! I was going for a gingham vibe and I think it hit the mark! 😀
Dancing Butterflies (Dragonflies) Sweater & Madeline’s Sweater
This just needs a finishing row of single crochet around it and I need to make a decision about what I’m going to do with the sleeves. I was going to leave it cap sleeved as is but now I’m kind of leaning more towards a 3/4 sleeve with a flowing ruffle at the elbow. We’ll see.
Madeline’s sweater needs sleeves and a hood. She wants long sleeves – I am NOT a fan of making sleeves. 😦
And finally the Unstriping Experiment
This one requires the most assembly. I still need to make a lot of strips and then joining them is really very tedious. I’m still getting stripes but it’s a different kind of stripes so I’m pleased with how it’s coming along.
I suppose the easy answer to my ‘finishing projects’ dilemma would be to not start projects that have a lot of moving pieces.
That’s no fun! 😀
I really don’t mind the less fun tasks that go along with crocheting, once I actually sit down and do them. The very, very difficult part of being in the ‘Almost Finished Danger Zone” is not starting any shiny new projects!
Thanks for reading!